Western Bluebirds

I recently saw bluebirds in the desert for the first time.
If not for the zoom on my camera, I probably wouldn't have been able to identify them. They're quite shy.
They feed on the berries of desert mistletoe, those reddish clumps hanging from the trees.
I started seeing them in December. Western Bluebirds are year-round residents of northern Arizona, however I understand that here in the southeast, they're just visiting for the winter.


Males have blue coloring where females are gray. Both have chestnut colored breasts.
I will enjoy the watching the bluebirds while they're in the area. Do you ever see bluebirds where you live?
You have read this article birds / blue / seasons / winter with the title Western Bluebirds. You can bookmark this page URL http://mariabelgien.blogspot.com/2010/01/western-bluebirds.html. Thanks!

No comment for "Western Bluebirds"

Post a Comment